Paegniarius - (Animal Fighters with a Whip)
This changed over the years and the names of the different types of gladiators reflected their combat techniques such as Secutores (chasers), Bestiarii (beast fighters) and Retiarius (net fighters). Gladiators were always clothed and armed to resemble barbarians with unusual and exotic weapons and their fights depicted famous victories over barbarians and the power of the Roman Empire.
Definition of a Paegniarius
What type of gladiator was a Paegniarius? What was their purpose? What was their style of combat? And what type of gladiator was matched as their opponent?
- Definition: The Paegniarius were Gladiators who specialised as wild animal fighters and trainers
- Opponent: The Paegniarius gladiator only fought with wild animals, like the Bestiarii, but the Paegniarius only used a whip
- Weapons: The Paegniarius, as shown in the mosaic, used a whip, which was similar to a modern day bullwhip. A bullwhip is a single-tailed whip, usually made of braided leather.
- Body Armor and helmet worn by this type of gladiator: The Paegniarius wore no helmet and used protective leg padding called Fascia. These wrappings were made of cloth or leather and covered his legs from the knee down. Wraps were also used around the feet. He also wore a protective wide leather belt called a Cingulum worn to protect the gladiators waistline from being injured.
- Shield: A double-sided wooden arm shield, like wooden boards, which were tied to the left arm
- Clothing worn: Close fitting garments similar to the Subarmallis of the Roman army which was padded linen worn under armor to prevent chaffing and provided extra protection
The content of this Paegniarius category on the different types of gladiator who fought to the death in the gladiatorial combats staged in Ancient Rome provides free educational details, facts and information for reference and research for schools, colleges and homework. Refer to the Colosseum Sitemap for a comprehensive search on interesting different categories containing the history, facts and information about Ancient Rome. Interesting facts and information on this type of gladiator: their weapons, their armor and their style of combat.