Velites - (Fought in groups with Spears)
This changed over the years and the names of the different types of gladiators reflected their combat techniques such as Secutores (chasers), Bestiarii (beast fighters) and Retiarius (net fighters). Gladiators were always clothed and armed to resemble barbarians with unusual and exotic weapons and their fights depicted famous victories over barbarians and the power of the Roman Empire.
Roman Gladiator Armor
Definition of a Velites - Weapons, Armor, Fighting Styles and Opponents
What type of gladiator was a Velites? What weapons and armor did they use? What was their style of combat? And what type of gladiator was matched as their opponent?
- Definition: The Velites (Singular: Veles) were a type of Roman Gladiator who fought on foot using a spear called a hasta. The Velites were named after a class of light infantry in the army of the Roman Republic and fought with the same weapons hastae amentatae and the gladius
- Fighting style: The Velites were lightly armored gladiators so they had the advantage of agility, mobility and speed.
- Opponent: This type of gladiator often fought with similar gladiators. The name of such groups of gladiators was Catervarii. The Catervarii did not fight in pairs but with a number of others who fought together as a common enemy. They would often re-enact battles against chariot riders (think of the movie, Gladiator!)
- Weapons: This type of gladiator fought with a spear called a hasta. The Hasta (pl.Hastae) is a Latin word meaning spear. The hasta was not thrown, it was used for thrusting and was approximately six feet in length. They were also armed with a gladius sword
- Body Armor and helmet worn by this type of gladiator: The Velites fought without a helmet and no body armor
- Shield: None
- Clothing worn: Canvas Loin Cloth (subligaculum) worn in a variety of colors, sandals or barefoot
The content of this Velites category on the different types of gladiator who fought to the death in the gladiatorial combats staged in Ancient Rome provides free educational details, facts and information for reference and research for schools, colleges and homework. Refer to the Colosseum Sitemap for a comprehensive search on interesting different categories containing the history, facts and information about Ancient Rome. Interesting facts and information on this type of gladiator: their weapons, their armor and their style of combat.